Reiki is not something new or something that started with Dr. Mikao Usui; it existed much before that. But it was only after Dr. Mikao Usui started using it as a methodology for healing it gained some prominence.
Since then, we have seen it evolving too many levels in many forms.
Some well-known variants are the Tibetan Reiki and Seichem Reiki which are ancient forms of healing. But there are other new forms of Reiki too that have evolved after Dr. Mikao Usui’s Reiki.
While quite a few are just a selling gimmick in the form of USP, quite a few of them have been universally accepted.
One of them is Karuna Reiki. It has been started by William Lee Rand, who received his Reiki Mastership (in traditional Usui Reiki) in as late as 1989 from one of the students of Hawayo Takata of the Mikao Usui lineage.
Many people are confused between the procedures and symbols taught in various lineages of Reiki and some of them think they are different!
In reality, they are not.
To understand this, there are a few things that you should know about Karuna Reiki. These are –
- Karuna Reiki has evolved out of Usui Reiki and hence, it is not to be practiced in isolation but as a continuance of Usui Reiki. This also implies that only a person who has been attuned and has been practicing Usui Reiki can proceed with Karuna Reiki as an “add-on”.
- Reiki Grandmasters are expected to attune their students for Karuna Reiki ONLY if they have attained the Usui Reiki Masters level.
- Unlike Usui Reiki where all the symbols are used for healing and/or meditation, in Karuna Reiki, the symbols are used selectively and each one of them has a special sound effect. Therefore, while you can practice Usui Reiki as a form of silent meditation or healing, Karuna Reiki involves. Karuna Reiki is all about vibrations and compassion.
- The Karuna Reiki symbols are a mix of Japanese as well as Indian traditional meditative techniques. The word Karuna itself has its origin in Hindu scriptures.
- While carrying out a session of Karuna Reiki for healing, it is important first to use all the Usui Reiki symbols and follow up with the specific Karuna Reiki symbols AND vibrations as an additional tool to achieve a higher purpose and better results.